Selena Quintanilla – Como La Flor

Selena’s heartfelt song of lost love, “Like the Flower”, carries her distinct sound with elements of Cumbia and Tejano music. It draws on the musical traditions of Europe (heard in the accordion and organ), indigenous America, and Africa (most notably in the percussion).

Almost all of the non-English language songs on the original record are traditional, which leaves out the richness of more recent music in other languages. Selena was pivotal to the dispersion of Latin American music to other countries, and the worldwide ubiquity of Spanish-language music today can in part be traced back to her. In Selena’s case, perhaps we shouldn’t ask if she is deserving of an extraterrestrial audience, but rather if an extraterrestrial audience is deserving of her.

Stevie Wonder – Sir Duke

This hit song combines jazz and Motown in a catchy ode to Wonder’s musical influences. It is playful while still maintaining its musical complexity, and the bassline and horn section are standout parts of the song.

To me, there is no question that Stevie Wonder should be included on the Golden Record. He has had a long-lasting impact on popular music and remains a cultural icon. I chose the song Sir Duke in particular because it speaks to the power and global importance of music. It also makes reference to other prominent musicians who left their mark on popular music before Wonder, leaving the aliens with a history lesson of sorts.

Donna Summer – I Feel Love

While this song is a disco classic, it uses a Moog synthesizer, which set it apart from many other disco songs that used acoustic instruments. Summer sings in her head voice with several layers of vocal harmony.

The original Golden Record doesn’t have many women on its tracklist, which is not an accurate reflection of the musical world, past and especially present. Donna Summer exemplifies the role women played in the development of American music during the 20th century. Whether you love or hate disco, the genre was groundbreaking in its use of synthesizers, and it contributed to future genres, such as hip hop, with its use of DJs and remixes. I Feel Love’s purposely futuristic sound pairs nicely with the message of the Golden Record project.

Grimes – Oblivion (bonus track)

I have included this track under the assumption that Elon Musk will be reviewing my submissions. Grimes and Elon are a couple and have a child together. I believe Grimes is a brilliant and innovative musician, and from what I’ve seen, Elon doesn’t consider Grimes his equal or take her art seriously. This is a note to Elon that Grimes’ music is important and not to be belittled… Hopefully, the impending alien judgement of his character will cause him to shape up.