I chose to listen to Bach’s Organ Fugue in G Minor. I spent the first couple times through the piece trying to hear the subjects in the different voices. After a while, I realized that I missed a good number of the subjects, because they were major instead of minor like the first few were.  I also tried to pick out what was happening in each voice during subject statements and episodes. While I was nowhere close to being able to follow each line for the whole song, it was a little easier than I expected it to be. Timbre seems to vary a lot more with pitch on an organ than it does on a piano, which makes it easier to hear individual voices in counterpoint. Something else I found – it’s really difficult for me to concentrate on one thing for thirty minutes. I spaced out sometimes, and I kept wanting to get up and do something else while listening. The only times I really ever listen to music and do nothing else are when I’m learning a song on the piano for the first time and trying to get a feel for it. Even then, I only listen a couple times through in one sitting. Because of this, I kept feeling like I had “already listened to the song enough” by the time I had heard the fugue three or four times. I realize that I should listen to a song a lot more when I’m learning to play it, because then I would know how it sounds inside and out before I even start to sight read.